Meet Dr. Ramona Bishop
Dr. Bishop graduated from John F. Kennedy High School in Richmond and received her Bachelor of Arts from the University of California, Berkeley. She earned her teaching credential from the University of San Francisco where she was student of the year. She earned her Master's Degree and administrative credential from California State University, Hayward. She was awarded a doctorate in educational administration from the University of Pacific.
Prior to becoming Superintendent of Vallejo City Unified School District, Dr. Bishop served as Associate Superintendent for Educational Services in the Twin Rivers Unified School District. Her professional career also includes teaching, serving as principal, director, assistant superintendent and superintendent in several urban school districts.
Colleagues and community members have recognized Dr. Bishop for her excellence in education.
In July 2015, Dr. Bishop was invited to be a speaker at the White House Rethink School Discipline convening. She spoke on the ongoing work the Vallejo staff is engaged in to create safe learning environments for all student using research-based restorative practices.
Dr. Bishop received many awards and serves on a number of boards and committees including but not limited to: 2016 President California Association of African American Superintendents & Administrators
- 2016 President, California Association of African American Superintendents & Administrators (CAAASA)
- EdSource, Board of Directors
- Linked Learning Community Board of Directors
- Linked Learning Superintendent’s Council – Vice Chair
- California School Boards Association, Superintendents' Council
- Association of California Administrators, Superintendents' Council
- Solano Economic Development corporation, Board of Directors
- Vallejo Education and Business Alliance, Board of Directors
- In 2014, she was appointed by Chief Justice Tani Cantil-Sakauye to the statewide Keeping Kids in School and out of Court Task Force
- 2014 California School Board Association's Golden Bell Award Recipient for Full Service Community Schools Program
- 2014 National Leadership Award - Full Service Community Schools Program
- 2010 National Alliance of Black School Educators - Ida B. Wells Risk-Taker Award
- 2008 Region 3 Superintendent of the Year, Association of California School Administrators
- 2007 Distinguished Educator, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated
- 2000 Governor's Performance Award, California Department of Education Teacher Education Student of the Year, University of San Francisco
Dr. Bishop was chosen as Superintendent of Vallejo City Unified in February 2011 after a nationwide search which resulted in more than three dozen applicants. Her first official day in the District was April 1, 2011. Since then, with the support and leadership of the VCUSD Board, she has led the district team on an aggressive reform agenda. Vallejo City Unified School District is implementing:
- Full Service Community Schools
- Positive Youth Justice School Climate Initiatives
- Innovative Elementary and K-8 Programs
- Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics Middle Schools
- Wall-to-Wall College/Career Academies at the Comprehensive High Schools
The goal of the district is to ensure that all students in the Vallejo City Unified School District achieve at high levels and are prepared for success in college and career.